Sunday, May 24, 2009

From up here it's just like google maps...

We've hit a bit of a bumpy section, so I figured I would do a little writing to distract myself. I don`t understand why flying through a cloud makes things so rough... they look so peaceful from the ground. Anyways... The flight has progressed without a hitch so far. There was a brief moment of concern when Mandi was making jokes about bombs and other touchy airport subjects, but we made it onto the place without getting arrested, which is nice. So far I've had a ham sandwich and watched The Wrestler. I found both to be more than satisfying.

We should be getting in to Vancouver in about two hours or so I think, and then we have a bit of time to hang out before conference stuff starts. Registration starts at 3.00 and then there is a reception at 6.00. Tomorrow morning the day starts off with a talk about the future of Neuroscience funding from the president of CIHR. Perhaps he will know the status of my scholarship application. After that is the first Keynote, Dr. Sam Weiss who will be talking about applications of adult neural stem cells. Dr. Weiss was one of the first people to show that neurogenesis occurs in adulthood in mammals, replacing the idea that after birth we had a finite number of neurons and that was that. It should be an interesting talk, and I am quite looking forward to it. Next there are parallel symposia where there are several different topics and talks to choose from. I was planning on hitting up the talks on growth cone guidance, as I am hoping I might hear something that would be applicable to ShcD, but we`ll see what happens. There is also a session on receptor trafficking though, which could also be kind of useful. Decisions, decisions....


In the mean time, we have broken through the clouds so I can get back to not being paralysed with fear. I will check in again when we make it to the hotel.

So long for now.

5 comments:

  1. good news about the neurogenesis. in regards to the turbulence, i believe flying thruogh a cloud is akin to flying through lots of little rocks...

    also, welcome to the world of blogging. probably, people will think you're cooler now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, you should check out Window Live Writer, if you're not already using it. It's pretty handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call shenanagins...

    http://superhelical.blogspot.com/2008/05/wow-from-plane-landscape-looks-almost.html

    don't know if you had been reading my stuff then - I didn't expect many people were - but I'll take this either as imitation being the sincerest form of flattery or great minds thinking alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heh... sorry. I think I might have actually read that last year, so perhaps it was just lodged in my subconscious. I wonder how many other people have made the same comment...

    ReplyDelete